- If you are looking for holiday gift ideas, the Downtown Raleigh Alliance has created the perfect option - a Shop Downtown gift card that, among other retail options, gives you access to over 37 downtown restaurants. Get your gift card(s) here.
- Downtown Raleigh’s newest watering hole opened this week - Paddy O’Beers is located at 121 Fayetteville Street, directly across from Isaac Hunter's Oak City Tavern. Check them out here.
- And in other alcohol related news in downtown Raleigh, the Triangle Business Journal reported this week the bizarre scenario of Napper Tandy’s closing on West Street, but opening the next day in the former Murphy’s Law restaurant location at 410 Glenwood Avenue (Murphy’s Law was owned by the same folks that own Napper Tandy’s).
- North Carolina’s newest Dave & Buster’s location opened in Cary two days ago. Dave & Buster’s is located in Cary Towne Center. Get familiar with this newest fun and interactive dining experience by visiting them here.
- Also in Cary, we got word from a comment on the Chowhound blog that Cary is now home to a Cantonese restaurant called Banana Leaf. It is located off of Cary Towne Boulevard and Walnut Street at 1026 Ryan Road in the former Bombay Beijing space. I couldn’t find a web page for it, but here are a few Yelp reviews of it.
- And in the Cary rumor file, I have received word from David McCreary (aka Lunchboy Says...) that he has a very reliable source that informed him that Chubby Taco’s will open their 6th Triangle area location in Cary next spring. We are going to hold David to this! We’ll keep you posted.
- Up in Wake Forest, WRAL turned us onto the fact that Tlaquepaque Mexican has opened in the location that used to be O'Charley's at 11206 Capital Boulevard. Check them out here.
- Keeping things in Wake Forest, WRAL also reported last week that another restaurant is in the early stages. Next to Tlaquepaque, in the old Steak ‘n Shake location, will be a place called Britino’s. No other information is available at this time.
- And out in Fuquay Varina (aka the Quay) Hosana Brewery and Pub opened last month with 12 beers on tap. Need we say more? Check them out here.
- Got word from John Huisman (aka Triangle Explorer) that later this month Durham will become home to a mobile, solar powered coffee bar called Caffe Bellezza. The “truck” is the brainchild of Tim Morris and his wife Julie. We’ll keep an eye on it and let you know when it hits the streets. In the meantime, check them out here.
- The Herald-Sun is reporting that Durham is getting ready to get a new burger joint when Smashburger opens in the Pavilion East complex on Erwin Road near Duke University Hospital. They are expected to be open next spring. Get a peek at them here.
- The Herald-Sun is also reporting that the Durham version of The Pit, part of the Empire Eats family, is slated to open in the next two to three weeks. The restaurant is planned to open in a former soda bottling plant at the corner of West Geer Street and Rigsbee Avenue, across from Motorco Music Hall. It’s in the same building as Fullsteam Brewery. Here is a peek at their Raleigh location, if you haven't been.
- The owners of Triangle Raw Foods, who will soon be opening Café LOVE over in Durham, announced this week that they have secured a location. While they haven’t told us exactly where it will be, we do know it is in the South Square area near Piper’s Deli. We will keep you posted.
- The Herald-Sun reports that Don Martelo’s has opened in the Erwin Terrace shopping center off Erwin Road. It’s in the second-floor space that fronts on Erwin Road that previously housed Sandella’s Flatbread Café. The development is also home to Nosh and Six Plates Wine Bar.
- And over in Carrboro, if you find yourself in the market to purchase a successful restaurant, you’ll want to take a look at The Spotted Dog, located between Main Street and Weaver Street right in the heart of downtown Carrboro. Drop me a line if you are interested. Check them out here.
- Two closings to report this week, but thankfully they are only temporary. This week the building that houses Pizzeria Toro and The Cupcake Bar in downtown Durham caught fire leading to the temporary closing of these two establishments. We’ll keep an eye on them as they work towards reopening soon.
Cary is jumping on the food wagon trend tonight (November 8) from 5-9 p.m. as they host the first-ever Cary Food Truck Rally & Local Craft Beer Expo. It will be held outside Rally Point Sport Grill, in the parking lot of Harrison Square Shopping Center. Get more information and a listing of the trucks, beer vendors and other entertainment here.
Can I get an amen? (especially when there are so few food truck events). St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Cary is hosting its annual Big Bazaar from 10 - 4 on November 16th. The church’s Big Bazaar features 20 juried local artists and crafts people selling their wares, a bake sale, two food trucks (Big Mike’s BBQ and Will and Pop’s). Get more details here.
- Whole Foods in Raleigh is turning 21! And you are invited to free food from The Humble Pig Food Truck as well as beer (you have to purchase) from Big Boss Brewing tonight (November 8th) from 5-7 p.m. (or until the food runs out). Check them out on Facebook here.
- Ray Price Harley-Davidson will host its popular BBQ Cook-Off (featuring 12 chefs) and Veterans Day Celebration this Saturday, November 9. The public is invited to the Ray Price dealership for all-you-can-eat barbecue (beginning at 12 noon). The cost is $5 with all proceeds benefiting the U.S. Veterans Corps. Get all the details on their Facebook page here.
- If you are over in Orange County on Tuesday, November 12th, the Inter-Faith Council for Social Service (IFC) encourages you to eat out for the 25th annual RSVVP (Restaurants Sharing 10 Percent) Day. This all-day fundraiser supports the IFC’s hunger-relief efforts in Orange County. For a complete listing of participating restaurants, click here.
- On Sunday, November 17th (from 1-4 pm) the good folks over at Sola Coffee Café in North Raleigh are throwing a “Thank You Raleigh Party” where they will be giving a free drink of choice to all their customers. (Proceeds for those who choose to donate will go to Friends of Wake County Guardian ad Litem, a program for abused and neglected children in Wake County. Check out Sola here.
- Here is another great foodie event to get on your calendar - the March of Dimes Triangle Signature Chefs Auction on November 17 at the Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club. Attendees will be able to sample signature dishes from top chefs from around the Triangle while bidding on great auction items/packages during our silent and live auctions. Get all the details here.
- On Wednesday, November 20 at 7 p.m., “Bacon Mania” hits Watts Grocery. Executive Chef, Amy Tornquist has partnered with Hope Valley Bottle Shop for a dinner highlighting every Southerners favorite food - bacon. For $55 (excluding tax and gratuity), guests will enjoy five-courses including pairings specifically chosen to complement each dish. Get more details and register here.
- Urban Ministries of Wake County is hosting its ninth annual Stone Soup Supper from 5-7 p.m. on November 20th. The soup is being prepared by Scott Crawford of Herons at the Umstead Hotel and Spa in Cary; Eddie Wilson and Andrea Pettifer of Margaux’s Restaurant in North Raleigh; Scott Rowe of Prestonwood Country Club in Cary; and Ben Holt of Raleigh’s Capital City Club. Dinner costs $8 for adults and $4 for children. The handcrafted pottery bowls can be taken home for a suggested donation of $25. Tickets can be ordered ahead of time here.
- Mark your calendar for 6 p.m. on December 11th when Chapel Hill’s Il Palio restaurant at The Siena Hotel offers up a five-course dinner with beer pairings from Durham’s Fullsteam brewery. The cost is $55 per person. For a reservation, call 919-918-2545. Get more information here.
Ordering a "Holiday Lunch" for your office? We've made it simple for you. Check out these great holiday menus from A Catered Affair, The Picnic Basket, Catering By Design, We Cook For You Catering and Green Planet Catering. As an added bonus, all orders off any of these Holiday menus (now through the end of the year) will earn you double points!! Order away and happy holidays!