Triangle restaurant news...that not everyone knows. Impress your co-workers at the water cooler.
There have been quite a few openings here in the Triangle this month, so let's get started with a quick tour. I'll provide websites so you can spend a little more time finding out about each.
- We'll begin up in Hillsborough where there is a new steakhouse in town! Russell's Steakhouse opened this month in the old Occoneechee Steakhouse location (after an extensive renovation) on Churton Street. Appears to be your typical "steakhouse" menu featuring 21-day-aged steaks. Visit their website here.
- Up in Rolesville, you can enjoy a little Calabash-style seafood with the opening of Fitzgerald's Seafood Restaurant which is located at 308 South Town Circle. Visit them online here.
- Our journey next takes us over to Apex where Fuji Asian Bistro opened in the former Ocean Stars Seafood and Oyster Bar location on Williams Street, near the US1 and Hwy. 55 exit. I was unable to locate a web address, so you're just going to have to plan a night out in Apex!
- Wingstop, the self-named "Wing Experts" out of Texas, has recently opened their third Triangle location in Paddington Station at 1721 New Hope Church Road in Raleigh. The other two Triangle locations are in Durham on Martin Luther King Parkway and at 202 NC Highway 54 (near Fayetteville Road). Visit them online here.
- Speaking of Durham, the Hope Valley Shopping Center continues to unveil new dining options. You'll recall this is the same location as Only Burger, Rick's and Pop's Backdoor. Well, it looks like they are going to add a yogurt shop into the mix as there is a Tutti Fruitti sign hanging in one of the windows now. That little corner of Durham is becoming a dining hot spot.
- And back over in Raleigh, a new pizza bar called Chow has opened in the former Gianni & Gaitano's location on Creedmoor Road (near the intersection with Strickland) in the Towne North Shopping Center. Chow is owned by the same group that owns Porter's, Frazier's, Vivace and Croquette. Chow does not appear to have a website up yet, but here is a link to their sister restaurants.
- There is a new pizza joint in town...well, sort of. WhichWich Gourmet Sandwiches is now serving up "pizzawich creations" that look delicious. Pepperoni Pizzawich, Hawaiin Pizzawich, Veggie Supreme Pizzawich and Baco-roni Pizzawich. WhichWich is located at 4025 Lake Boone Trail in Raleigh.
- The Raleigh location of Ted's Montana Grill fell victim to the company's decision to close nine of their under-performing stores. But the good news is that you only have to travel to Durham to get your Bison fix, as the Durham store (across from the Streets at Southpoint) remains open.
- Triangle restaurateur Giorgios Bakatsias has closed Café Giorgio in Cary (it was located at the corner of Highhouse Road and Cary Parkway) where it opened almost exactly one year ago. Apparently the location has been sold to a new owner, and Bakatsias is looking for a new location. Stay tuned on that as well as what will next occupy that location.
- Kudos to Beyu Caffe in downtown Durham. They were recognized this week by Downtown Durham Inc. as one of the 2009-2010 Outstanding Downtown Retail businesses. Congratulations!
- In a breath of fresh air, Ruby Tuesday's announced this week that all of their nearly 700 locations will be smoke free.
And we can't finish off this week's information without a quick nod to everyone's favorite dining holiday... Thanksgiving. Here is some fun Thanksgiving information primarily pulled together by the staff over at the News & Observer.
- Looking for fresh options for your Turkey Day spread? Fresh as in, it was in the field yesterday, fresh? Well, all five Triangle Area Farmers' Markets will be ready for you next Tuesday. Here are their hours on Tuesday - Carrboro from 3-6 p.m.; Durham from 2-5 p.m.; Hillsborough from 4-7 p.m.; Chapel Hill from 3-6 p.m. and Cary from 3-6 p.m. Recipes are also available at the Triangle Farmers' Markets site.
- For those looking for the perfect wine to serve at their Thanksgiving day feast, the N&O's Andrea Weigl has put together a nice list of wine tastings at local wine shops. Check out here list here.
- And for those looking for dining out options on Thanksgiving day, the N&O's Greg Cox has put together a great list of restaurants taking reservations for Thanksgiving. Take a peek here.
- And we close with a deal. And it is a great deal for you coffee lovers that have in-laws that are in town. From now through this Sunday, Starbucks will be offering their holiday beverages for free, with the purchase of another holiday drink. Think Peppermint Mocha. So you can treat your in-laws to coffee, without having to spend any money on them! Bonus!
- Don't want to wait until Friday for the area's latest restaurant news? Follow me on Twitter.
And speaking of the Thanksgiving holiday, there will be no "Friday Fun Food Facts" next Friday. It is widely anticipated that I will be in a food coma and will be unable to pull this together! Gobble gobble!