- In the biggest shock in some time, it was announced at the beginning of this week that Chapel Hill's 3 Cups will close their doors for good on February 2nd. The owners cited financial difficulties for the decision. Folks, get out and support your local options. Get by before they close.
- Yo! Listen up. If you've been longing for cheese steaks and dogs from the "City of Brotherly Love", wait no longer. North Raleigh is now home to South Philly Steak & Dogs. I'll have to take my buddy Tim CoyneSmith over to check this place out, but from what I'm hearing, it is the real deal. Thanks to Triangle Explorer John Huisman for bringing me this news. Check them out here.
- Looking for a "new spot" to hang out in downtown Cary? Well, we've got the spot for you. Not exactly new, but Dorry's Downtown (which took over the long-standing Food Factory spot) has been closed for the last few weeks undergoing major renovations. Look for them to re-open any day now with a total new look and the addition of pizza, wine & beer, evening hours and most of your favorite offerings from their menu. Congrats to Ray and his team on the new features! Check them out here.
- The OC is coming to Raleigh. Well, not exactly the TV show, but an upscale sports bar called The OC Bar & Grill (we assume it is short for Oberlin Court). Look for a March opening that will feature over 16 drafts on tap and a made-from-scratch menu. Thanks to Triangle Localista Kim Alexander for this tip. Check them out here.
- The News & Observer provided an update this week on some of the retail developments at Raleigh's Cameron Village. The first retail tenant noted in the 300-unit apartment complex opening this spring is Brixx Pizza. This will mark the chain's 3rd Triangle location. Check them out here.
- The N&O is also reporting that downtown Raleigh is getting another coffee option. Café de los Muertos, a roaster and café that will take up space in the Hue apartment building on West Hargett Street. Look for an opening this summer. Get a peak at them here.
- And speaking of coffee, the blog Carpe Durham reminded us this week that we are very close to the opening of Cocoa Cinnamon, the much anticipated coffee/chocolate shop at the corner of Geer and Foster. With a soft opening this week, they will begin "regular hours" next week. Go there now!
- Carpe Durham also reminded us this week that there is a new barbecue joint on the outskirts of Durham, heading towards Wake Forest on Highway 98. Johnson Family Barbecue is a six-table establishment run by a husband and wife team and is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Check out the article on them here.
- We caught wind on a Yelp message board of a new Chinese/Asian Fusion restaurant that just opened over in Cary's Grande Heights Shopping Center called Asian Garden. It opened on January 7th. Check them out on Facebook here.
- The latest concept out of Niall Hanley is hosting a grand opening on February 8th. Located on the ground floor of Solas, Bia Restaurant will donate 10% of the proceeds from the event to the Wake County Firefighters' Burned Children Fund. The restaurant, which we first told you about in early December, features chef Dan Yeager.
- Speaking of Hanley, we got a new update this week that we should see Dos Taquitos Xoco on Glenwood South, and the North Raleigh location of his Hibernian Pub, both open in early February. We'll stay on top of this for you.
- This Sunday (January 27th) marks the season's first Food Truck Rodeo from 12:30 to 4:30 in Durham's Central Park. Expect about 40 food trucks and vendors (the event is rain, or snow, or sleet or shine). Get all the details here, including a full list of trucks.
- The seventh annual Empty Bowls event to benefit Urban Ministries of Durham will be held on Thursday, March 7th from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Purchase your tickets here.
- Hold the date for the annual Wake Tech Culinary Arts Showcase which will be held this year on April 30th from 4-7 p.m. at the Raleigh Convention Center. Get all the initial details here.
- Cary's Matthews House is giving you the option of a romantic dinner at home for Valentine's this year. They will be offering a gourmet oven-ready take-home meal for $100 with the option to include a bottle of The Matthews House champagne for $25 more. The meal consists of rolls and a salad, main entrees plus sides and a delectable dessert. All you need to do is pick it up and pop it in the oven to warm. Reservations must be made prior to Friday, Feb. 8 by calling 919-467-1944. For more information, visit them here.
- Looks like Chez Moi is going mobile...with a little help from their friends (i.e. you!). Chez Moi has launched a Kickstarter Campaign to raise money for a mobile version of their bakery. If all goes well, the truck will be unveiled at Full Steam Brewery in Durham on March 23rd at 5:30 p.m. To donate, go here.
- Kudos to two legendary Triangle families who announced a joint partnership this week. The Goodmon family (think WRAL, Durham Bulls and American Tobacco campus) and the Eure Family (think Angus Barn) announced this week that the Angus Barn will be the exclusive caterer for events at American Tobacco's Bay 7 event space. A win-win for all involved. More details here.
- So what do you think? Greg Cox has put out his annual list of Best Restaurants of the Year and topping this year's list are Oakleaf in Pittsboro and Yamazushi in Durham. Take a peek and let me know what you think.
And we close with a fun competition where everyone needs to cast a vote. Our very own Bull City, aka Durham, is up against some tough competition in Southern Living Magazine's latest contest to find the "Tastiest Town in the South" for 2013. We need to put Durham (and the entire Triangle) on the map ahead of Atlanta, Charleston, New Orleans, Miami, etc. Vote early and vote often! You have until February 28th.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Opening Soon File
Modern Life Deli & Drinks is coming to Pittsboro on Sanford Road. It is expected to open very soon; Lawrence Coffee Bar coming to the Jones-Foy house in downtown Cary on Academy Street; Kipos, a Greek Taverna that will come to Chapel Hill's West Franklin Street. It is another concept by Giorgios Bakatsias; Waffle House on East Franklin Street in Chapel Hill (look for a mid-February opening); Barberito's, a southwestern grill and cantina, will open in mid-February in Cary's Waverly Place (with a Raleigh location not too far behind); and speaking of Waverly Place, Taziki's Medeiterranean Cafe should open by the end of January; Taqueria del Sol is on the clock to open their 2nd location in the Triangle, with this one coming to Durham; Blend and Grind, a coffee, smoothie and juice bar which will be located in downtown Raleigh's Seaboard Station is looking at a February opening; Denny's in Durham (Hope Valley Commons Shopping Center); Char-Grill in Clayton (August opening); Hibernian Pub in North Raleigh on Falls of the Neuse Road (former Duffy's location) could open any day now; PDQ (chicken tenders, salads & sandwiches) is slated to open their Wake Forest location in late March, followed by a Cary location in May; Carolina Wing Company is taking over the Buffalo's Café location in Stonehenge Shopping Center in Raleigh; Over in Morrisville, we are getting closer to the opening of Taste Vietnamese, in the space formerly occupied by Mawa; Chuy's, a fun and funky fresh Mexican themed restaurant, is coming to North Hills in Raleigh; Zinburger Wine & Burger Bar will take over the Rockfish space at the Streets at Southpoint; Java Burger and Bar is a concept that is on tap for the Westpoint at 751 development near The Streets at Southpoint; Look for a new fast, casual Indian dining option coming to RTP called Curry Point Express at the intersection of S. Miaimi and Hwy. 54; Trali Irish Pub & Restaurant will be opening a second location in Morrisville, in the location that used to house Yucatan Cantina on Grace Park Drive; Kimba is coming to downtown Raleigh’s Seaboard Station the second week in February; Downtown Raleigh’s Wilmoore Cafe will re-open in early March under a new name, with a new menu and expanded hours. Wilmoore was purchased by Ashley Christensen.