Triangle restaurant news...that not everyone knows. Impress your co-workers at the water cooler
- Looks like Cary is going to land the fifth Triangle location of Jason's Deli. The latest rendition is set to open before month's end at the Crossroads Plaza in Cary.
- Chubby's Tacos is very close to opening their 5th Triangle area location at 10511 Shadowlawn Drive in the Falls River Town Center in North Raleigh. Falls River is located on Durant Road between Falls of Neuse and Capital Blvd., across from Durant Road Middle School.
- In downtown Raleigh, Z Pizza is just days away from opening their 3rd Triangle area location. It will be located on the ground level of the NationsBank building right at Raleigh's City Plaza. And it won't just be pizza - their sandwiches and salads are amazing and rumor has it they will also be serving up breakfast!
- It was reported and confirmed this week that the building that housed the former Hideaway BBQ at 2210 Capital Blvd. (which closed January 19th of this year) will have a more "Eastern" influence when it re-opens. And no, we're not talking Eastern North Carolina Barbecue. It will be a Chinese buffet of some sort. We'll keep an eye on it for opening details.
- Yogen Früz is scheduled to open today at North Hills around 1 pm! Yogen Früz serves up frozen yogurt and smoothies. Yum!
- Apparently things are going very well for Chapel Hill's newest addition to the restaurant scene - Kitchen (located on MLK Blvd. next to Foster's). Kitchen announced this week that they have begun serving lunch from 11:30 until 2, Tuesday through Saturday.
- According to the TBJ, in 2011 Raleigh will become home to North Carolina's first location of Rex's Chicken. It will be the first of three locations here in the Triangle for the revived fried chicken chain. A site has not been identified as of yet.
- Durham's very own Scratch Baking made the "Top 10 Places To Get Pie" in the current issue of Bon Appetit. Scratch Baking is located at 111 Orange Street in Durham. See the article here.
- Here's an interesting restaurant challenge - the Bull City Vegan Challenge. During the month of October, 10 Durham restaurants will serve up a vegan dish. During the month, you can vote on your favorite dish. The contest will feature: Alivia's, Beyu Caffe, Dos Perros, The Federal, Nosh, Parker & Otis, Piedmont, Rue Cler, Toast and Vin Rouge. Get more information here.
- Here's a helpful and easy-to-use website that was recently introduced to me. It organizes all of the state's numerous wine events and festivals. Check it out.
- Mark your calendar for Triangle Uncorked on Saturday, September 25th from 2-6 pm at Cary's Koka Booth Amphitheatre. Taste hundreds of wines from around the world for just $25 ($35 day of event). If you want access to the VIP tent, high-end wine tastings and free appetizers, those tickets will cost $75. For more information go to their site. All proceeds benefit The Frankie Lemmon Foundation and the North Raleigh Rotary Club.
Looking for "foodie" type things to do this weekend?
- The fifth annual Eastern Triangle Farm Tour will take place from 1-5 pm on Saturday and Sunday. A $25 advance ticket will allow "as many people as you can legally fit into your car" access to 24 participating farms. Advance tickets can be purchased at any Triangle Whole Foods or online at www.carolinafarmstewards.org. On the event days, $30 tickets can be picked up at your first farm stop. To plan a route or learn more about the participating farms, visit the Carolina Farm Stewardship Association's website.
- The 29th Annual Greek Festival is this weekend at the N.C. State Fairgrounds. The event is 5-10 pm on Friday, 11 am -10 pm on Saturday and 11 am -7 pm on Sunday. Tickets are just $3. Proceeds benefit Habitat for Humanity. For more information, go here.
- Are you (or your kids) a big Mac & Cheese fan!?! Be sure to drop by the first MacDown, a macaroni-and-cheese contest being held in conjunction with Raleigh's SPARKcon festival this weekend. Judges will evaluate the Triangle's best comfort dish at 4 pm on Saturday under the Big Noodle tent on Fayetteville Street. Participating restaurants include Porter's City Tavern, Spirits Pub and Grub, The Q Shack and Tobacco Road Sports Cafe.
- This Saturday, the city of Raleigh will be holding a Battle of the Baked Goods event at the Mordecai Historic Park from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. They will have cake and cookie categories for both youth and adult and prizes will be awarded for first and second place in all categories. Not a baker? Come out and be a sampler! All entries will be available for tasting to the general public from 12-1pm. This event is free to enter and free to sample. More information here.
Looking for a good wine dinner to attend? Here are a few:
- The Inn at Celebrity Dairy in Siler City will host is monthly afternoon wine dinner this Sunday at 1:30 p.m. The five -course dinner with wine costs $75 and will feature chef Chip Smith and his wife, Tina Vaughn of Chapel Hill's Bonne Soiree. For reservations, call 742-5176 or email: email@example.com or visit their website.
- In Fearrington Village, the Old Granary will host an "Evening Out Dinner Series" on Wednesday, September 29th. These popular three-course dinners are $30 per person, $45 with wine pairings. Reservations can be made online or at (919) 542-2121.
- This Sunday, September 19th at 6:30 pm, Carrboro's very own Acme Restaurant will host its Acme Wine Dinner featuring five courses and five wines for (you guessed it) $55. Reservations are required at 919 929 2263.
- And Durham's Washington Duke Inn is unveiling its new fall menu with a five-course wine dinner at 6:30 pm on Thursday, Sept. 23. It costs $59. Call 493-6699 for reservations.
And a few coupons / discounts for you:
- One of my favorite restaurants has a Groupon deal going right now (through midnight tonight). For $30, you get $65 worth of delicious grub and drinks at Savoy, a fine-dining establishment in Greystone Village in Raleigh. Check out the deal here.
- In addition to Groupon, you may also want to check out similar "deal sites" like Living Social Deals and Cary's very own Twongo. I monitor all three of these and there are some great deals every day on restaurants, spas, nails, car washes, museum memberships, etc. Sign-up for the daily e-mails.
- Ruby Tuesday is offering up their popular BOGO coupon (buy one, get one). Max of $10. Get it here.
- Uncle Fatty's in Raleigh's Cameron Village has a new coupon ($3 off any entrée). Get it here. It is good for two more weeks.