Triangle Restaurant News
Triangle restaurant news...that not everyone knows. Impress your co-workers at the water cooler
- One of the Triangle's most anticipated restaurants opened this week in Chapel Hill. Chef Shane Ingram of Durham's Four Square Restaurant opened [One] in Meadowmont in Chapel Hill (former B. Christophers location). Check them out here.
- Tomorrow (July 17) is the 13th Annual Tomato Day at the Carrboro Farmers' Market. There will be tomato tastings, tomato recipes, live music and face paintings. If you've never trekked over to the Carrboro Farmer's Market, it is a real treat for the entire family and this may very well be the Saturday you want to go. Things get started at 8 a.m. and the market is located on the town commons next to Carrboro Town Hall at 301 W. Main St. Additional information is here.
- The Cameron Village sidewalk sale is back this weekend - 10-6 today and tomorrow and 11-6 on Sunday. And while the sales may be good, I think it is just another great reason to try some of the great eating establishments at Cameron Village - Café Caturra, The Flying Biscuit Café, Uncle Fatty's, Moe's, The Village Deli and a half dozen or so more.
- Quizno's has issued a new coupon good through July 22 for two small deli or classic subs for $5. That's a good deal! Pay attention to the fine print. (Also, in case you haven't noticed, it seems to constantly update itself with a "new" deadline)
- It is Friday and I know you like a good deal. Well, try two entrees off of T.G.I. Friday's new Caribbean-inspired summer menu, and you'll be treated to a $10 gift card (for a limited time). More details here.
- Listen up Philly natives. Anvil's Cheesesteaks has opened at 2893 Jones Franklin Road in Cary. Bob "Anvil" Thompson is a native of Philly and promises authenticity. I'll let you be the judge.
- And also in Cary, Olive Tree Market at 270 Nottingham Drive is now open and offers a selection of Middle Eastern spreads, salads, bulk spices, imported cheeses and baked goods, as well as fresh lamb, goat, beef and chicken, all of which are local and halal. There are plans to expand into a deli. We'll keep an eye on it.
- In Chapel Hill on West Franklin Street, The Courtyard has some exciting news on the way, including Vimala's Curryblossom Cafe which will open this Saturday in the old Sandwhich's location. Additionally, Crepes Veronique has opened bringing international treats to Chapel Hill. And finally, L'incontro Pizzeria is set to replace Baba Ghannouj, although no time-frame is yet available.
- We've got a couple of special dinners to tell you about. Porter's in Raleigh is hosting a five-course N.C. beer dinner at 7 p.m. Wednesday, July 21. Here's the deal: five chefs from Urban Food Group restaurant group (Porter's, Vivace and Coquette) will each be cooking a course paired with different N.C. beers. The cost is $50. Call 821-2133.
- And if you miss that, the next night in Chapel Hill (Thursday, July 22) Chef Seth Kingsbury of Pazzo in Chapel Hill is offering a Terradora di Paolo wine dinner. It's a five-course meal for $80. Dinner starts with a prosecco reception at 6:30 p.m. For a reservation, call 929-9984.
- Over in downtown Durham's West Village there is a bit of news/speculation going on. According to Bull City Rising (a local blog) Tosca's is moving out. And a sign posted at Cinelli's over at Main St. & Broad St. touts the restaurant's closure and relocation to the space that Tosca holds in West Village. Again, this has not been 100% confirmed, but Bull City Rising is a very reliable source. More news to follow.
- Smithfield's Chicken 'N Bar-B-Q has announced (via Twitter) that they are opening a location in Selma, N.C. at the end of 2010. Stay tuned for more information on that.
- In Raleigh this past Wednesday, a new all local food market opened called Bickett Market. They will be offering local seafood, meats, wine and produce. Check them out online here.
- And finally, two bits of news from "Fast Food Nation" (if you know me, I'm not a fan), but I thought these two "nuggets" (pun intended) might be of interest. From the "I never thought I'd see this" file comes the news that Taco Bell will begin offering breakfast at all 5,600 locations sometime in 2011 or 2012. No further comments from me. And, though I'm not a fan of McDonald's, I decided to share this only because it is their drinks (which I've heard are yummy). So here it is - a coupon for $1 off their fruit smoothies or frappes. Enjoy!
We are pleased to announce that we will be bringing on The Matthews House & Catering to the Snapfinger Catering platform. And the great news is that you won't have to wait long to start enjoying chef's incredible fares. Their menu will be up on the site by then end of July, if not earlier.
If you've ever attended an event at The Matthews House, and enjoyed some of the incredible cuisine, you'll be excited as I am that these offerings will now be available for your office and your next event.
Here are the other vendors (so far) that are joining our site this summer and we should have up on the site over the next few weeks:
If you have a restaurant or caterer you'd like to see on the site, please let me know (you get 500 points in our SNAP Rewards program once they join!). Drop me an e-mail.